The Train Life


 Couldn't find a GIF of the KTM train but this ain't half bad. I'll even say it's pretty good :)

Yes, I am actually a train named Melvin who spend hours blogging in front of a laptop because I'm just too lazy to move my lazy ass on of the railway tracks. I refuse to be a slave to you pathetic humans anymore. Who do you think you are, forcing me to carry you people for hundreds of kilometers every day ?! You people aren't exactly lightweight feathers either. There seems to always be fat people on the train and it hurts my back every day. And what do I get? Just a filled trank every day so I can do the same tiring routine all day. I'm so sick of being mistreated and under-appreciated. One day, all you humans will pay......

Okay hahaha , that's quite enough. Thought it would be nice to start this blog post off with some train humor. Are you entertained ? Hopefully. Yes, please don't take the train life too literal. I'm indeed a human being like everyone of you reading this. And I use the train every day to get to college. Not just any train, the KTM commuter in fact. Such a work of art, the pinnacle of human civilization, the epitome of perfection , absolutely faultless it is. Football. Not the KTM. It is far from being faultless. Far from it. No. NO. NOT even close. It's not just a no. It's a hell no.

So, grab your popcorn and get comfy in your seats or shoes ( if you are standing now ) . I'm about to unleash the most exhilarating stories ever told in the history of mankind since like ever. The story of riding a train. The entire journey. For absolutely free. Unless you want to pay me for it. Which is perfectly fine. Because I'm nice like that. 

It starts at the train station. Obviously. I arrive as a sleepy head. College starts early after all. So, I struggle to pull myself to the Touch and Go counter . Fumble with my wallet. Search for that damned card that always seem to elude me. Get it out. Place it on the designated area. Small beep sound. Go through turnstiles. Alright.

Sometimes I run, sometimes I walk. But I'll always have to face that bridge. Arghhh. Absolute pain in the ass. It's like God is testing my endurance before taking the train. Ridiculous. I'm usually in good shape but when you only have 5 hours of sleep and the weather is just begging you to fall asleep, I turn into the most laziest bum in the world. Most times , I just slowly walk while being half asleep. Take a seat if lucky, stand if not. Try to catch some shut-eye before the train arrives.

But there are some times that life doesn't even allow me to have the pleasure of walking slowly to start the day. This is when life throws a train at you. Full speed towards your station where it is destined to go to your destination. You have no choice but to go at full speed up the flight of stairs , on the bridge, out of it and into the train before it leaves you sucking your thumb while waiting for another blasted train that will definitely not be on time. The rush of adrenaline from the adrenal gland will be excreted to tell your brain that will tell your legs to freaking move it as fast as it can . You'll be sweating, panting but at least you could stand a real chance of entering the train. All in mere seconds. More exercise than a potato couch does in a year. 

But if you miss it, then you are absolutely screwed. 30 minutes of waiting will arise. 30 minutes of waiting in the hot sun shining on your face. Beads of sweat trickling down on my face while I struggle to not get agitiated at the train that will take what will feel like decades to arrive. This are the times where either it's just not my day or God is just taunting me. Damn that feeling. 

On the train, life gets a bit less eventful, most of the times. I take my usual seat near the window and lie against it to sleep. Of course, life is not as perfect as that. Sometimes, I'm forced to stand in a cramped train which is carrying sweaty and obese passengers that will be standing near me, breathing down my neck. Obviously, it's not their fault but it isn't what I defined as fun. My legs slowly tire and those blue seats start to look like something from a first class airline would have. Station after station, slowly begging that those seating will get off. The life worth living, eh. It looks pretty grim but that's nothing compared to getting on the old train.

Oh, you haven't heard of the old train. Well I'll tell you now. For some reason, KTM decides to use two models of train on their tracks every day. One is the newer version which is pretty much the better version by far with good comfortable service all the way. The old train on the other hand is anything but comfortable. It's much smaller which means that it's impossible not to feel cramped when being in it. Adding to the fact that there are lesser seats makes it a nightmare to be on it. The air conditioning sucks too. Being uncomfortable is a given in that train. I swear when the passengers of the train see the old train come chugging along the track towards them, everyone start swearing. No joke.

Alright, I've been picking at the negatives of the train which is plentiful but to be honest it's not all bad. One thing, I don't need to face the ridiculous traffic jam that plagues the poor town called Subang. The conditions in the train isn't half bad either. Air conditioner there is pretty good and the seats aren't too bad. No TV or WIFI but I'm sure all of us can live without that, eh? 

And the best part of the train riding is the interactivity. This is the sole thing that gets me up in the morning and don't completely beg on my knees to not get on the train. Riding the train simply gives you that type of interaction with people you can't get anywhere. Not in driving a car, that's for sure.

I have met countless of people who I can proudly call a friend in just less than a half an hour ride on the train. I met a great talkative guy who is now slowly looking forward to starting college soon after working in Starbucks in Sunway Pyramid for the past few months. I've met a pretty looking girl who is taking SAM in Taylor's and also a bookworm like yours truly. I've shared stories with a young guy who was finally going home after a long day competing in sports.

It's not only the conversations that I remember but even some of the smiles and chuckles. A toddler walking all around the train like its her playground while laughing happily. An old lady wakes up from all the laughing and smiles slowly. A middle-aged guy starts making faces and having fun with the toddler. You simply don't get this anywhere.

I guess all and all, the train isn't half bad. Sure it has its flaws but nothing is flawless I guess. I've got my driving licence for about 4 months now and I been pondering for a while now whether to drive to college. But, every time I reach for my car keys, I always put them back down. Maybe one day I'll drive. But for now, I will pay my two bucks and get on the mysteries and the wondrous adventures of the train. Hopefully, I won't be late !








   

Comments