#1 : 15 Minutes on... Playing Football

                                                                       Beautiful.

I guess this will be my official first post on this new segment. No better way to start than talking frankly on one of my biggest passions in life, football.

Less than 24 hours ago, I had just finished a really tough few hours in playing football in a competitive tournament where my team was unlucky to have been knocked out. We were a place below the top two automatic spots from the group stages, ending our mini adventure unbeaten with a win and three draws. 

I would like to say we deserved to go through but yesterday was one of the worst finishing displays I've ever been a part of. I had no part in that of course, being a defender and all. But, my team has an abundant of riches in creating beautiful chances but successfully failed in delivering most of them. We never scored more than a goal a game which pretty much costed us. 

Yet, I still had fun. It's a funny old thing, really. Unlike my studies, failing doesn't seem to hurt as much. I might sound like a guy lacking of any hunger to win but there is probably no one as passionate as me when I get on the pitch. But, maybe it's because I'm simply happy just being there playing this game I love.

Don't get me wrong, I was pretty frustrated knowing we got knocked out but then minutes later, here I was joking around with my teammates like nothing really happened. It's just how it is.

In the day and age where my life pretty much revolves around my studies in university, I find solace in playing football. It's the sport where I grew up watching, admiring, playing and loving. It's a tough feeling to describe to people who have never played the sport seriously before. To them, it's just 22 people chasing after a ball in a field.

To me, it means much more.

The feeling of touching the leather ball with the sole of your boot is wondrous. A feeling of adventure as you have a multitude of choices on where you could take the ball to. The feeling of making a perfectly timed tackle. The feeling of superiority over someone that doesn't seem to fade away as easily. The feeling of delivering a beautiful pinged pass to your teammate which flies through the air like a migrating bird leaving other players stunned and left wondering. 

And at last, the feeling of scoring a goal. With the ball bulging at the back of the net with the keeper stranded. The joy of your teammates around you. Then, it hits you. I've done it. What a beautiful feeling !
                                                                                                                                          15 minutes.

Comments