Melv's Anime Awards 2017 : Intro


HELLO EARTHLINGS!


Image result for fireworks gif
Let there be explosions!



The new year is already upon us and I have successfully done nothing but play video games during the first few days of the year. Same old, same old. So here I am writing up this post in a bid to be more productive and scrape off the guilt I have when booting up my PS4 for the umpteenth time.

Anime.

It was a great year for me in terms of watching anime. Prior to 2017, I never really had strong feelings towards anime. Sure, I did watch a few anime shows when I was younger through the Animax channel on the TV but nothing much besides that. I certainly didn't try to pursue it as much as my little brother did.

That didn't mean I didn't like anime but I never got too obsessed on it. My mind was still fixated on video games and football - and it still is of course.

The seeds of change however was soon planted as I were to move to Australia to further my studies in the University of Melbourne. Upon knowing it was an 8 hour flight, I quickly browsed through my Iflix account to see what I could download so I could watch offline during the long flight. For whatever reason, I decided to look at the anime section and there was one that caught my eye.



Related image

Boku dake ga Inai Machi a.k.a ERASED



And I was hooked from that moment on. I was hungry for more of this anime goodness. It was a welcome exposure to the 12 episode story-driven anime series that I have now gotten used to. Anime series that I used to watch were mainly long-running shounen with plenty of filler which honestly got stale over time.

But now, my eyes were opened to a brand new world.


So anyways, I decided to have a fun little awards show of my personal favorite anime of 2017. These anime would have to be broadcasted in 2017 to be eligible. Looking through my MAL list, I realized that I didn't watch too many anime from this year. However, there were still a few gems to be found from the 20 anime shows I had watched this year. Some ridiculous ones, some funny ones and some that just took my breath away.




Anime is colourful.


So the little collage above is a compilation of the anime I've watched this year. The list are as follows alphabetically:

1. 3gatsu no Lion S2
2. Aho Girl
3. Animegataris
4. Attack on Titan S2
5. Blend S
6. Eromanga Sensei
7. Gabriel's Dropout
8. Gamers!
9. Houseki no Kuni
10. In This Corner of The World
11. Kakegurui
12. Made in Abyss
13. Miss Kobayashi Maid Dragon
14. Net-juu no Susume
15. Kuzu no Honkai (Scum's Wish)
16. The Ancient Magus Bride
17. Tsuki ga Kirei
18. Tsurezure Children
19. Uchouten Kazoku
20. Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome


A pretty extensive list covering plenty of different genres although most have some sort of slice of life element in it. I can't deny I like SOL a lot in anime.

There were few that I've only seen a couple of episodes of so they were sadly excluded from this little personal contest I'm holding.

Looking through the list, a lot of memories start flooding in with great and funny scenes from endearing characters of whom I have enjoyed watching as the year passed by. I can count myself lucky that I chose really great anime series to watch and complete in the year 2017. It was a treat of a time and I only can hope 2018 will come close to reaching the heights of 2017.

After a millisecond of thought, I've decided on the categories I would like to have in my personal 2017 anime awards. This may not be the Crunchyroll anime awards but I'll do my best to have decent enough taste to satisfy everyone reading this.

The categories will be :
1. Anime of The Year (of course!)
2. Best Opening
3. Best Ending
4. Best OST
5. Disappointment of The Year
6. Surprise of The Year
7. Guilty Pleasure of The Year
8. Best Girl
9. Best Visuals
10. Worst Anime of The Year

Let the fun begin!

Comments